Balance your stress level during intense launch preparation time.
There is no denying that preparing for the launch of your biotech brand is stressful. But stress when managed and understood is not necessarily bad.
What is stress?
Stress is the body's way of rising to a challenge and preparing to meet a tough situation with focus and stamina. Events that provoke stress are called stressors and they can range from actual physical danger to nervousness over a big project or commitment, like a launch.
When we are stressed, our bodies respond by activating our nervous systems and by producing adrenaline. Adrenaline speeds up our pulse, blood pressure, and metabolism, causing our liver to release glucose to stimulate energy. All of these physical changes prepare a person to react quickly and effectively to handle the pressure of the moment. This is called our stress response.
Good stress and bad stress
The stress response prepares us to react to danger or perform under pressure. This kind of good stress helps keep us alert and ready to respond.
But stress doesn't always occur in response to immediate challenges that get resolved quickly. Long-term situations can produce a lasting, low-level stress that's hard on the psyche. Planning a launch can begin years in advance, and the long months can be difficult to get through.
What can a biotech brand manager do to avoid stress overload?
1. Schedule time for work and time for play, and don't overschedule or overcommit yourself
2. Get enough sleep to feel recharged
3. Practice relaxation and prioritize fun: make time to engage in something pleasurable, such as reading a good book or spending time on a favorite hobby or with a friend or family member
4. Respect your body: exercise regularly to help manage stress and eat healthfully to provide your body with the nutrition it needs
5. Set small goals: break projects down into manageable tasks; completing small tasks will help you build confidence to move on to bigger problems and projects
6. Don't strive for perfection, and don't expect it from others
Get the best from your stress
The most successful people view times of great stress as opportunities for growth. When channeled appropriately, stress lets us feel excited and challenged. Recognize stress for what it is: the ultimate motivator that will move you through a successful launch.
>> Click here to return to Brand Incites blog page