Centers For Disease Control
The bad news: heroin-related deaths inched upwards.
The Centers of Disease Control reports that prescribers wrote enough painkiller prescriptions to give one bottle to every adult in the US in 2012.
Patients have to be high-risk or Baby Boomers for coverage.
Centers for Disease Control data shows that diabetes complications including heart attack and amputation fell in the twenty years between 1990 and 2010. The bad news: the number of diagnosed diabetes patients tripled during that same time period.
CDC finds that non-Medicare adults make up the majority of preventable heart attack and stroke cases; a Facebook study shows groups can influence HIV screening; and a Shire ADHD drug gets a "no" from Germany
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention profiles the typical sleep aid user, and finds that eight hours does not mean consumers are sleeping without help.
HHS is looking into how J&J marketed opioid painkiller Nucynta, adding to the firm's list of investigations and those of the industry as a whole.
The CDC says HPV vaccination rates are not improving. The latest data comes just as a recent report shows the vaccine cannot only help fend off cervical cancer, but throat cancers as well.
The drug maker can now add five new doses to its generic Opana ER offerings.
The drug maker eases the burden on its Symbicort franchise by scooping up Pearl for $510 million.
The actor and patient heads up a roundtable posted on the advocacy site CreakyJoints.
Pfizer cuts 136 workers loose in Ireland, BMS is investing in heart failure treatments, CMS has an official new leader, and Sanofi's iBGStar may have a competitor.
The FDA approved a flu vaccine that can be produced quickly, and lacks many elements that make patients skittish.
Did you miss January's Top 40 Healthcare Transformers issue? Read how these inventors, strategists, entrepreneurs and wonks are challenging, disrupting and otherwise transforming the healthcare business. And join us April 30 to honor them at the Transforming Healthcare Dinner. Click here.
- US pharma market value projected to be $550 billion in five years
- Biosimilar uptake will require companies to tell a trustworthy backstory
- Lawmakers propose allowing pharma companies to share some off-label information
- Apple's ResearchKit: Five Guidelines for Pharma
- Everyday Health buys rare-disease agency Cambridge BioMarketing
- Five things for pharma marketers to know: Thursday, March 26
- Rare Diseases: Target Practice
- Physicians call for emphasis on women's health research and care
- Implement a Direct-to-Patient Approach to Increase Patient Engagement and Retention
- Bristol-Myers Squibb licenses autoimmune program from Novo Nordisk