More Business Briefs
- Business briefs: Novo Nordisk, Eli Lilly, Merck
- Business briefs: Medscape, Livestrong, ACA, Lilly
- Business briefs: Boehringer Ingelheim, Teva, Medicare
- Business briefs: GSK, DOJ, Sanofi, Flashpoint Medica
- Business briefs: Aveo, Dynavax, Gilead, OPDP
Eye care giant Bausch + Lomb is buying ISTA Pharmaceuticals for $500 million. ISTA brings to Bausch + Lomb a portfolio of eye health drugs including non-steroidal, anti-inflammatory, allergy, glaucoma and spreading agents. ISTA's pipeline, featuring therapies to treat inflammation and pain, complements Bausch + Lomb's, which includes the first of a new class of ocular anti-inflammatory agents to come along in decades, said the companies. The transaction is subject to regulatory approval and the assent of ISTA's shareholders.
Sanofi and Regeneron's experimental cholesterol drug lowers LDL cholesterol by up to 72% in a Phase 2 trial involving 183 patients, the companies reported at the American College of Cardiology meeting in Chicago. The drug is one of a new class called PCSK9 inhibitors, including compounds in development by Amgen, Pfizer and Merck.