More Business Briefs
- Business briefs: Pfizer, BMS, CMS, Sanofi
- Business briefs: Bayer, FDA, Ranbaxy
- Business briefs: Angelina Jolie, adherence, Sanofi, Teva, AbbVie
- Business briefs: Eli Lilly, Millennium/Takeda, Elan
- Business Briefs Merck, GSK, Novo, Walgreen, Epocrates, Doximity
Merck struck a licensing deal with Portola Pharmaceuticals for betrixaban, an experimental anti-blood clotting drug. According to an AP report, Merck will pay Portola $50 million initially, and a possible total of $470 million if certain goals are met.
Pfizer will appeal the Canadian Federal Court's decision that deemed a patent for Norvasc invalid. The civil action was brought by Ratiopharm, a generics manufacturer. Ratiopharm was granted permission to sell a generic version of the hypertension drug, based on the decision.