Ex-FDA women’s health official questions Plan B decision

Share this article:
The former top women's health official at the FDA, Susan Wood, said she believes the agency's refusal to approve OTC sales of Barr's Plan B was on orders from above, the Associated Press reported.
 "I don't think the FDA was acting independently," said Wood, who resigned last August after the FDA issued its decision on Plan B. Wood spoke to reporters after addressing the Center for American Progress, a Washington think tank.
Wood said she did not take part in the agency's decision on plan B and does not know for certain who made the call.
The final authority rested with then-FDA commissioner Lester Crawford, who resigned last month. The FDA reports to the Health and Human Services Department, which in turn reports to the White House.
Share this article:
You must be a registered member of MMM to post a comment.
 

Did you miss January's Top 40 Healthcare Transformers issue? Read how these inventors, strategists, entrepreneurs and wonks are challenging, disrupting and otherwise transforming the healthcare business. And join us April 30 to honor them at the Transforming Healthcare Dinner. Click here.