Pfizer has handed operational responsibility for US sales and marketing to Peter Brandt, formerly regional head of Latin America, while assigning US Pharmaceuticals head Pat Kelly several new duties.
Brandt becomes EVP US Pharmaceuticals, reporting to Kelly, with responsibility for sales, marketing, medical, finance and USP operations. He was previously SVP Human Health finance, planning & business development, information technology, Pfizer Health Solutions, and area president for Latin America. Replacing him as Latin American regional head is Greg Duncan, formerly SVP marketing for US Pharmaceuticals.
In a memo to Pfizer Human Health employees, Pfizer vice chairman Karen Katen ascribed the changes to an ongoing streamlining of the company’s operations. “Over the past year,” Katen wrote, “the Human Health organization has been moving from distinct research, manufacturing and commercial operations to a more seamless way of operating against our shared goals—addressing the market realities for innovative pharmaceuticals, sustaining in-line product growth and speeding the flow of new medicines to meet the needs of patients, today and tomorrow.”
Brandt will also join Kelly and Katen on a US Pharmaceuticals steering committee that “will meet regularly to review significant matters affecting the US business.”
Kelly continues to serve as president, US Pharmaceuticals, and adds responsibility for Pfizer Health Solutions (formerly held by Brandt) and US planning and business development to his plate. Kelly will also chair the Human Health New Directions Task Force.
The move prompted speculation in The Wall Street Journal that Kelly was being sidelined following poor US performance of several big drugs on his watch.
Brandt headed the firm’s Florida: A Healthy State and Pfizer for Living Share Card programs, along with Green Ribbon Health, a pilot program under the Medicare Chronic Care Improvement Program. He has headed Pfizer’s Latin American operations since 2003 and sits on Pfizer’s Pharmaceutical Strategy Group, PGP Leadership Team and Pfizer Leadership Council, as well as on the board of Pfizer partnership Amicore.
Other changes at Pfizer Human Health include:
• Marie Caroline Sainpy, SVP worldwide marketing & product and opportunity evaluation, to SVP US Pharmaceuticals marketing and worldwide commercial development, including therapeutic area responsibilities, reporting to both Brandt and Katen.
• Andreas Fibig, regional president, Latin America, to regional president, Latin America and Africa/Middle East, reporting to Pfizer Global Pharmaceuticals area president, Europe/Canada/Africa/Middle East, Ian Read. His reports will include Greg Duncan.
• Ozer Baysal, regional president, Africa/Middle East, to regional president, Northern Europe, reporting to Read.
• George Henniger, VP finance, Europe/Canada and Africa/Middle East, to SVP finance, Human Health, reporting to Katen.
• Jonathan White, VP strategic planning & business development and IT, Human Health, to SVP, reporting to Katen.