January 06, 2006
Johnson & Johnson omits 2 deaths in study of Natrecor
Johnson & Johnson said this week that two more patients died after taking its Natrecor heart failure drug than the company had reported in October. The two deaths were omitted in a report on a study published in the Oct. 2005 issue of The Journal of Emergency Medicine. J&J said in a statement that it is in the process of finalizing an audit of the data. Upon completion, it will reanalyze the data to see if it makes a statistically significant difference in the drug’s risk. Natrecor is manufactured by J&J’s Scios unit and was approved in 2001. The FDA told Scios early last year to analyze further the study data for mortality. J&J plans a final report by the end of March.