1. The FDA approved Eli Lilly’s Basaglar, an insulin injection that is similar but cheaper version of Sanofi’s Lantus. Basaglar is considered a follow-on biologic, and not a biosimilar. Sanofi’s drug brought in $8 billion in sale in 2014. (Reuters)

2. As expected AstraZeneca announced plans to buy 55% of Acerta Pharma for $4 billion. The deal will give AstraZeneca access to a blood-cancer drug being developed by Acerta, as well as the option to acquire the remaining 45% stake for $3 billion. The drug is in late-stage clinical trials to treat B-cell blood cancers. 

3. Martin Shkreli, the oft-criticized pharma CEO who raises the prices of old drugs, was arrested today in New York on charges of securities fraud. The charges say he illegally took stock at biotechnology firm Retrophin, which he founded, and used it to pay off debts. (Bloomberg Business)

4. Drug companies are developing patient registries to better understand how their treatments perform in patients. Traditionally government agencies or patient advocacy groups have been the organizations to develop and manage patient registries. (Stat News)

5. Valeant lowered its guidance, saying that fourth-quarter revenue would likely be $2.7 billion to $2.8 billion, down from the $3.25 billion to $3.45 billion it had previously said it expected. The drugmaker, which is facing Congressional scrutiny, predicts its new deal with Walgreens Boots Alliance will help it recover. (WSJ)