Alexion Pharmaceutical markets rare disease drug Soliris.
1. Alexion Pharmaceuticals is cutting about 600 jobs and moving its headquarters from New Haven, Connecticut, to Boston. The move is part of the company’s plan to restructure and reduce costs. (Stat)
2. In a late-stage trial, Sage Therapeutics’ experimental seizure drug brexanolone did not significantly improve the condition of patients with super-refractory status epilepticus compared to placebo and standard-of-care treatment. (Reuters)
3. Apple CEO Tim Cook told Fortune that the company is working on “a lot of stuff” in health and is particularly interested in medical and health activity. Cook noted that Apple customers are using its heart-monitoring technology to alert them about potential heart problems that may require a doctor’s visit. (Fortune)
4. A Phase-III trial of Regeneron and Sanofi’s Dupixent reduced asthma attacks by 46%, significantly lower than mid-stage results of 71% reduction. Dupilumab is approved to treat atopic dermatitis. (Endpoints News)
5. ICYMI: Facebook hosted an invitation-only breakfast last week to educate pharmaceutical marketers on targeting patients for clinical trials using the social platform. (CNBC)