The regulator is providing examples of appropriate off-label communications.
The agency issued 11 enforcement letters last year.
The agency has faced questions about how it regulates off-label communications.
Regulators said the ads distract viewers from superimposed safety information.
The previous deadline was January 9.
Obama signs 21st Century Cures Act into law; the FDA approved 19 new drugs in 2016; Sanofi in talks to acquire Actelion
The bill now heads to President Obama's desk. He is expected to sign the sweeping piece of legislation.
The bill includes two provisions that would address drugmakers' calls for clarity on sharing off-label information with payers and regulators.
Insurers and pharmacy benefit managers already have a sophisticated understanding of clinical data, the industry argued.
The FDA asked questions about the risks and benefits of allowing off-label communications.
Here are 5 statistics about off-label promotion ahead of the FDA's public hearing this week.
Spurred by recent lawsuits, the FDA is scheduled to hold a two-day hearing this week on whether to allow drugmakers more latitude in promoting therapies off-label.
Supernus Pharmaceuticals received an untitled letter over a promotional video for Oxtellar XR.
The number of warning and untitled letters has dropped in recent years. Only four letters have been sent so far this year, compared to 28 in 2012.
The FDA responded to criticism from industry about its proposed research of DTC animation.
- Klick Health's Elliot Langerman on the Power of Persuasion
- Five things for pharma marketers to know: Thursday, January 12, 2017
- Trump administration raises questions for rare-disease drugmakers
- Day 3 at JP Morgan: The move toward big data requires drugmakers to ask questions
- Five things for pharma marketers to know: Tuesday, January 17, 2017
- In draft guidance, the FDA defines appropriate off-label comms as being 'consistent' with the label
- Five things for pharma marketers to know: Thursday, January 19, 2017
- Wunderman Health taps former Merkle exec as SVP of strategy and analytics
- MM&M opens nominations for Hall of Femme
- Women, Sometimes Too Risk-Averse, Should Instead Focus on Possibility