MM&M’s first-ever compilation of 40 Under 40 marketers shines a spotlight on the industry’s breadth of young talent, many of whom are poised to lead the business in the decades ahead. Join us to celebrate these honorees on August 27, 2020 in New York City.
40 Under 40: The Next Wave
- Sara BakerExecutive director, earned media, Marina Maher CommunicationsSara BakerExecutive director, earned media, Marina Maher Communications
People recognized Sara Baker’s potential early. Upon graduating from college, she was hired to build a PR team for a financial tech firm in New York City. She remembers asking the chief executive: “You know I’m 22, right?” To which he responded, “Yes. And I know you can do the job.”
- Shivani BalanSenior director of enterprise marketing, DoximityShivani BalanSenior director of enterprise marketing, Doximity
For the past four years, Shivani Balan has led marketing efforts at Doximity, a professional network for clinicians. Her talents were recognized quickly by the company; originally hired as a client services manager, she was promoted to director of enterprise marketing within a year.
- Heather BeachSenior director, analytics, Intouch AnalyticsHeather BeachSenior director, analytics, Intouch Analytics
Heather Beach started her career on the client side, working as a performance analyst at the outdoor sporting goods retailer Bass Pro Shops. The job was a valuable lesson in how big businesses operate. In her seven years with the company, she performed many key roles, including reporting on campaign performance, optimizing the marketing mix and managing a team of analysts.
- David BrightmoreVP, brand strategy, Wunderman Thompson HealthDavid BrightmoreVP, brand strategy, Wunderman Thompson Health
As VP of brand strategy at Wunderman Thompson, David Brightmore spearheads strategy for some of the agency’s most important accounts, a portfolio that includes a number of oncology brands and consumer packaged goods such as Sensodyne.
- Drew Oxendine-BurnsDirector, project management, AbelsonTaylorDrew Oxendine-BurnsDirector, project management, AbelsonTaylor
Despite his relative youth, Drew Oxendine-Burns is already a seasoned project manager with more than 10 years of healthcare advertising experience. He began his career at Scientific Voice as a key opinion leader speaker program coordinator.
- Katie BusseSenior manager, digital customer experience, MedelaKatie BusseSenior manager, digital customer experience, Medela
Katie Busse started her marketing career more than 10 years ago, working in brand management for an eco-friendly cosmetic brush brand. On the job, she learned valuable lessons about female consumers’ expectations for consumer packaged goods. She was also exposed to multiple aspects of the business in addition to marketing and public relations, including research and development, trendspotting and competitive analytics.
- Pam CaputoAssociate VP, media and engagement, PrecisioneffectPam CaputoAssociate VP, media and engagement, Precisioneffect
Pam Caputo leads media and engagement at Precisioneffect in Boston. Hired in 2016 as the healthcare agency’s sole media strategist, within four years she had built an entire media team. On the surface, her job — to ensure clients’ messages reach their intended audience — sounds simple.
- Ashley CardarelliVP, strategic partnerships, SharecareAshley CardarelliVP, strategic partnerships, Sharecare
Ashley Cardarelli began her career working on media giant Condé Nast’s inaugural digital pharmaceutical team, where she helped launch the first custom Rx programs on Self, Glamour and Vogue’s websites.
- Julie CronerVP, Patient Leader Network, Wego HealthJulie CronerVP, Patient Leader Network, Wego Health
Upon graduating from West Virginia University, Julie Croner started her career working at Deloitte Consulting. As a senior technology integration consultant at the company, she led teams through the planning, design and implementation of new software systems, a role that required her to travel the world.
- Mike deLimaAssociate creative director, KlickMike deLimaAssociate creative director, Klick
Growing up, Mike deLima wanted to follow in his art director father’s footsteps and work in advertising. In high school, he launched a business designing MySpace pages for local bands, eventually gaining big-name clients including Universal Interscope and Island Def Jam. He saved the proceeds to pay for a college degree in graphic design.
- Juliette DeshaiesProduct director, Janssen BiotechJuliette DeshaiesProduct director, Janssen Biotech
As a product director at Janssen Biotech, Juliette Deshaies leads “all things” related to patient marketing in rheumatology. At the moment, her efforts are focused on launching a new, first-in-class treatment for patients living with psoriatic arthritis.
- Heather DonahoeVP, account director, Hill Holliday HealthHeather DonahoeVP, account director, Hill Holliday Health
As an account director at Hill Holliday Health, Heather Donahoe supports brands within Novartis’ oncology and immunology, hematology and dermatology portfolios.
Since joining the company in 2015, she has been responsible for launching several rheumatology indications and served as an account management lead for Cosentyx, a biologic for treating plaque psoriasis, psoriasis arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis.
- Danielle DowlingConsumer director, Repatha, AmgenDanielle DowlingConsumer director, Repatha, Amgen
In fewer than three years at Amgen, Danielle Dowling has established herself as a talented marketer who challenges conventional industry thinking. Prior to her recent promotion to consumer marketing director of the cholesterol drug Repatha, she was the senior marketing manager on the Aimovig consumer team, where she developed Amgen’s first Facebook campaign.
- Jessica Echterling BelardiVP, group account director, TBWA\Health CollectiveJessica Echterling BelardiVP, group account director, TBWA\Health Collective
A natural leader, mentor and client partner, Jessica Echterling Belardi’s first foray into marketing took place while she was still a graduate student at the University of South Florida. Long story short: Her master’s thesis, a marketing plan for a local restaurant group, was so impressive she was hired as the company’s marketing director.
- Paul EllisEVP, MesmerizePaul EllisEVP, Mesmerize
Paul Ellis began his sales career working for Katz Media Group’s continental TV sales division. He soon transitioned to out-of-home advertising, working with agencies and clients on various ad formats, including billboards and transit.
- Anita FeinsteinSenior group manager, KCIAnita FeinsteinSenior group manager, KCI
Since joining KCI in 2015 as a U.S. product manager, Anita Feinstein has launched six new products and line extensions in the U.S. market, helping the company achieve a year-over-year growth rate of 50%. Much of this success stems from her ability to combine multiple effective strategies, including tapping into a network of key opinion leaders and incorporating input from focus groups and advisory panels on how to develop new marketing initiatives.
- Victoria FortEVP, GCI HealthVictoria FortEVP, GCI Health
In the two years since joining GCI Health, Victoria Fort has transformed the agency’s approach to oncology communications and early-stage company development so that the two go hand-in-hand. Her in-depth knowledge of the rapidly developing space — in which there are over a thousand new drugs in development — has helped the agency more than double its revenue in oncology.
- Mike FrankeAssociate creative director, MicroMass CommunicationsMike FrankeAssociate creative director, MicroMass Communications
Before joining the healthcare marketing industry, Mike Franke excelled in a completely different industry: video games. The first decade of his career was spent working with developers to create designing systems, cultivating an expertise in user experience and working with industry leaders at companies including Showtime, Marvel and Paramount. Following that, he spent some time working for the U.S. government.
- Justin FreidChief growth and innovation officer, CMI/CompasJustin FreidChief growth and innovation officer, CMI/Compas
During his five-year tenure at CMI/Compas, Justin Freid launched the company’s search, social and emerging media strategic practice, growing it from four people to a department of more than 100 employees. And today, the team represents approximately 25% of the agency’s business.
- Julie GensSVP, management director, CalciumJulie GensSVP, management director, Calcium
With nearly two decades of experience in healthcare marketing, Julie Gens is an industry veteran who has worked in nearly every facet of the business, from healthcare provider pharmaceutical sales to consumer marketing.
- Hilary GrahamDirector, scientific marketing and applications, LuminexHilary GrahamDirector, scientific marketing and applications, Luminex
A storyteller and commercial strategist, Hilary Graham is passionate about understanding what drives her customers. At Luminex, she heads up content and product marketing for the company’s xMAP technology, which delivers multiplexed assay capabilities.
- Liz HefnerVP, marketing and member services, SkiptaLiz HefnerVP, marketing and member services, Skipta
Elizabeth Hefner is a powerhouse. In just 10 years, she rose from an account coordinator to VP of marketing at Skipta, a social network for medical communities — all while earning a master’s degree in marketing analytics from Bentley University.
- Josh JohnDirector, strategic planning and alliance management, Boehringer IngelheimJosh JohnDirector, strategic planning and alliance management, Boehringer Ingelheim
Having worked at Boehringer Ingelheim for the past 13 years, Josh John is an integral part of the team, with experience working across the pharmaceutical company’s global portfolio products and in a range of departments, including global sourcing, market research, established brands marketing and peer-to-peer marketing.
- Kevin JohnsonGroup president and managing partner, integrated solutions, W2O MarketingKevin JohnsonGroup president and managing partner, integrated solutions, W2O Marketing
As group president and managing partner at W2O, Kevin Johnson oversees analytics and works with executives to ensure the firm takes a digital, technology-enabled approach to serving clients.
- Jesse KatesExecutive creative director, Grey Group's health and wellness practiceJesse KatesExecutive creative director, Grey Group's health and wellness practice
Currently the executive creative director in Grey Group’s health and wellness practice, Kates’ work spans a diverse range of therapeutic areas, including oncology, cardiovascular, multiple sclerosis, diabetes, neuroscience, allergy, vaccines, pain management and addiction.
- Meghan KayeCreative director, HeartbeatMeghan KayeCreative director, Heartbeat
Kaye began her career as a junior editor at the healthcare agency FCB Health; she didn’t last long in that position, however, as she was quickly promoted to junior copywriter, working across multiple accounts.
- Conrod KellyExecutive director, social determinants and population health, MerckConrod KellyExecutive director, social determinants and population health, Merck
Thanks to his extensive experience working in the medical device, vaccine and pharma industry, Conrod Kelly was chosen by Merck to serve as its first executive director, social determinants and population health. Before that, he served as the company’s executive director of its U.S. diabetes franchise.
- Danielle LynchVP, client experience, PhreesiaDanielle LynchVP, client experience, Phreesia
In 2017, Danielle Lynch joined Phreesia to lead business development for its agency partners. Her abilities were quickly recognized as Lynch was promoted to VP of client experience, and now leads both sales and content strategy for the company. Her leadership in refining Phreesia’s go-to-market model and its approach to developing new partnerships has helped the company increase revenue, grow its partnerships and improve its product offerings and capabilities.
- Nishant MallerSenior brand manager, U.S. surgical retina, AlconNishant MallerSenior brand manager, U.S. surgical retina, Alcon
Since joining Alcon in 2012, Nishant Maller has contributed meaningful work to a variety of projects. Initially hired as a surgical marketing intern, he wrote launch and training plans for Contoura Vision as part of Alcon’s FDA submission for Conducted LASIK. From there, Maller was promoted to a marketing communications project specialist.
- Michelle MaskalyMarketing, FingerpaintMichelle MaskalyMarketing, Fingerpaint
A member of Fingerpaint’s marketing team, Maskaly spearheads the agency’s social media, content creation and thought leadership efforts across its four offices.
- Marissa McNally-CostelloChief strategy officer, Cambridge BioMarketingMarissa McNally-CostelloChief strategy officer, Cambridge BioMarketing
Upon joining Cambridge BioMarketing in 2013 as a group copy supervisor, Marissa McNally-Costello put her problem-solving skills to use. Quickly promoted to associate creative director, she led the marketing agency’s strategic and brand development for a number of global accounts, a role that included coming up with creative concepts and developing print, digital and experiential tactics.
- Danielle SalowskiIndustry manager, health, FacebookDanielle SalowskiIndustry manager, health, Facebook
As a founding member of the health vertical on Facebook’s global marketing team, Danielle Salowski has leveraged her experience to help the pharmaceutical companies market on mobile. Since joining Facebook in 2016, she has built a tailored team of industry experts, tech stars and data nerds who understand the needs of companies working with the highly regulated, risk-averse healthcare industry.
- Blake SchillerExecutive director, women's health marketing, Amag PharmaceuticalsBlake SchillerExecutive director, women's health marketing, Amag Pharmaceuticals
For Blake Schiller, healthcare marketing is personal. His passion for the industry was cemented when his wife, who is a Type 1 diabetic, got pregnant. Because of her condition, the pregnancy was labeled high-risk. Luckily the couple’s healthcare provider was able to recommend an app that helped them manage and mitigate risk factors during the pregnancy.
- Nick SpuhlerCreative, copy, FingerpaintNick SpuhlerCreative, copy, Fingerpaint
An industry veteran with more than a decade of experience working in pharmaceutical marketing, Nick Spuhler joined Fingerpaint in 2019.
- Eric SteinbergSenior director, Hearts & ScienceEric SteinbergSenior director, Hearts & Science
Eric Steinberg was a founding member of Hearts & Science, which launched in 2016 and is part of the Omnicom umbrella. He oversees the agency’s Aimovig business within the Amgen portfolio.
- Brian StevensEngagement manager, Evolution RoadBrian StevensEngagement manager, Evolution Road
In 2014, Brian Stevens joined Evolution Road, a marketing consultancy, as an engagement manager. He quickly proved himself on a number of company initiatives, including spearheading new tactical plans and piloting its new staffing model for engaging with healthcare providers.
- Emily TallmanVP, creative director, GSWEmily TallmanVP, creative director, GSW
Emily Tallman has long believed that the greatest asset a marketer can have is the ability to connect brands and consumers in meaningful ways. During her more than 10 years in the industry, she has worked to perfect this skill. Today, her marketing expertise spans dermatology, hematology, oncology, pediatric and adult vaccines, CNS, pain, men’s health, urology, rare disease and corporate communications.
- Janel TorsielloSenior medical director, Synchrony Healthcare CommunicationsJanel TorsielloSenior medical director, Synchrony Healthcare Communications
As a senior medical director at Synchrony, Janel Torsiello leads strategic and tactical medical communications initiatives, creating education and marketing communications content. In the role, she provides direct oversight and training to the medical department, in addition to managing a team of medical directors and writers.
- Paul WesemannAssociate creative director, Elevate HealthcarePaul WesemannAssociate creative director, Elevate Healthcare
Throughout his career, Paul Wesemann has made a creative impact. This was true even from his early days working at ATD American and Unreal Marketing, and only progressed as he gained industry experience with stints at Aptus Health, Dudnyk, Rosetta and Cadient.
- Carly WolfeAccount supervisor, CloserlookCarly WolfeAccount supervisor, Closerlook
An account supervisor at Closerlook, Carly Wolfe works on healthcare communication campaigns that aim to improve the quality of patient care. A large part of the job depends on her ability to successfully create and develop relationships with brands, as well as patients and other key stakeholders.